Proof of Concept: Augmented Reality - Signal Strength Visualization for Wifi / LTE and 5G (Drone Survey)
Project Skittles is exciting, because it demonstrates the value of:
MAKING VISIBILE THAT WHICH IS INVISIBLE - which extends beyond RF...
Drone Surveys WIFI Signal Strength and AR Visualize
JUne 21 2019 Test
SurveyCopter (Photo Credit Jay Griffin)
Loaded Drone with Gear - Test Flight #1
POC at IBM Watson West (LTE Data)
Demonstration / Value
- Show that AR Tech can be applied to visualize and remedy weak points in evolving 5G networks (better antenna placements)
- Especially valuable given the gnarly physics of 5G - e.g.
Point cloud , anchored to physical location
Data Sources (Real world)
- WIFI Signal Strength Level
- LTE Signal Strengh Level
- Ping Test
- X Y Z coordinates (For above)
Attenuation in Weather? (explore & visualize) - fog, rain and drizzle
- Manual (MAC)
- Manual (Raspberry PI with a button - and some 1m resolution locator - GPS or other localized data)
- Drone - fly drone 8 X 8 X 3 (think about three chess boards) - taking measurements
- Adjust mesh antennas (rotate, relocate, or add more) to ensure sufficient coverage across physical space.
- Modify Policies to ensure choke points are prioritizing network or compute that is priority
Post It Credit :) - Jenna G.
Trade Show WIFI Visualized - June 2019
Started with Dummy Data... then
Make believe heat map...
... Real Data - Mapping Signal Strength for Real
mac terminal >
while x=1; do /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | grep CtlRSSI; sleep 0.5; done
wifi SSI - you can script, or just walk around your room and holler to your friend the coordinates and 'level'
Test Flight #2 (Jay Griffin) - Drone Programmed in Node Red to Survey and Get signal strength
BIll of Materials
1x Tello-EDU drone $99
* Be sure it is the "EDU" version of the drone. It allows for easier wireless connectivity for accessing the flight SDK
spare propellers $4
spare battery $19
battery charging hub $25
1x(3x) Raspberry PI Zero W $10
for $10 ea. spares are good
I got this kit for a bit more which covered most accessories $60
1x GPS breakout card $40
wire spools (4 colors needed, 6 in the pack) $16
solder wick (recommended if soldering novice, mandatory if expert.... or so I'm told) $3
Really short usb cable: $6 (important for weight and mounting balance)
total ~$300 depending on replacement part insurance.
Prior Work (Pre-POC) - Proof of Concept (Magic Leap)
thanks Jake Madden!
Jake did a POC > he "created a test Magic Leap Unity project that reads in the csv file and creates colored spheres of sizes corresponding to the strength value and similar color scheme to the example table... captured a short video demonstrating on the ML1. It doesn't factor in walls for occlusion presently but could and demonstrates the idea."
What Next 1?
Weather, Humidity, Pollutants, Altitude impact on propogation and models
What Next 2?
- Mini-Project 1 - MANUAL MAP - Do some REAL WORLD signal strength mapping (hand hold a Mac, or phone) and manually create a (A) WIFI Strength ; (B) LTE / 4G Signal Strength
- Mini-Project 2 - DRONE Survey - program a drone to SURVEY an area - 1 meter grid coordinates, measure, move , measure, move (could also be a ROOMBA)
- Mini-Project 3- Explore 3D mesh of Room / Enviroment (thanks Joe P!) https://www.6d.ai/ APIs for Augmented Reality and the AR Cloud. With just a smartphone camera, 6D.ai's SDK creates a 3D mesh of the world around you. App developers can easily relocalize multiple cross-platform players into the same coordinate system. Objects remain persistent across sessions while respecting occlusion (JP > for "signal strength demo could be that you only see the spheres that are within your view")
- Mini-Project 4 - GHOST Protocol - visualizing an after-image for security or perimiter monitoring
- Mini-Project 5 - overlay multiple frequencies - e.g. 5G and LTE and WIFI on same viz (find juicy network in a stadium or event)
IBM Watson Studio
IBM Immersive Data:
Dial and call "*3001#12345#*" to enter iOS Field Test mode.
Finding Hidden Cells Phones in Prisons
About this blog
Description is...<br/>Data Analytics & Visualization Blog - Generating insights from Data since 2013
Created: July 25, 2014Englishfrançais