Food Science - Tastes and Smells
I often use the metaphor of CAKE BAKING to describe the composition of ingredients (tools/models/data) and recipes (patterns, code) to create small cupcakes of data insights, or wedding cake systems.
In this "raw ideas" blog - I put down a few few thoughts about going the other way - FOOD SCIENCE
Plates of Food; Cans of Sauce, Ingredients in the Pantry, guidance from the cook books - and the supermarket aisle. Data Science meets food science.
So who cares about the delicious fork full of food, and whether your brain is going to light up with delight - or not.
- Food Scientists - Manufacturers
- Scent Scientists - Flavour and Perfume Factories
- Consumer / Shopper (mom or dad)
- Chefs & Culinary Influencers (restaurant, catering company)
- Data Scientist (if supporting below)
- Farmers, Growers, Primary Producers
Data Sources & Ground Truth
- Recipe Books (Classic Blends)
- Chef Watson
- Food Science Basics (chemistry)
- Social Media - new combinations, new trends (by geo / group / etc)
- Factory Floor - Prior BLends (and sales / uptake)
- Food Science Test Kitchen / Test Tasters (subjective)
- On the Tongue (all consumers)
- ON the Nose (all consumers)
- Stores - Point of Sale Combinations (what spices, ingredients, etc. are being bought togeher - trending in Berkeley?)
Value and Innovation - ROI Positive?
- New combinations (flavour explorsion!)
- New experiences (trying new things, spices, foods) & consumer insights
- Expanding Palette - leading a new wave of food science
- Extracting Meaningful Insights from "Dark Data" (e.g. review 10 years of research tasting notes, or customer feedback)
- Product & Brand extensions (tweak, tune established foods)
- New lenses to look at data - old data and cross pollinated data - better understanding of tastes and tastes...
Other Links / Prior Works
Coffee Flavour Recommender
Wine Pairing Recommender
Chef Watson (Mature)
About this blog
Description is...<br/>Data Analytics & Visualization Blog - Generating insights from Data since 2013
Created: July 25, 2014Englishfrançais