" the installer encountered error 1612 the installation source for this product is not available "
Bad news: You saw this error
Good news: If you are running Windows, the fix is probably pretty simple.
Background: I had been using Google Hangouts on an old laptop of Windows 7 Home Premium on Chrome for some time. One day, I tried to access my Google Hangout (it's integrated into the Dream to Learn platform https://dreamtolearn.com/ ) and ran into this error. Tried a bunch of stuff, uninstalled Chrome, etc.
Briefly - THE FIX FOR ERROR 1612 install block IS RUNNING A MICROSOFT PROGRAM (below) that fixes the blockage: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/
Step by step below, but looks like for me, and most others on windows machines, the fix for this is to us the MS tool and re-install the plugin from Google. Recommend came from here https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chat/8KYa1vXj1uE
Good luck! Ryan
- Step 1: Try to download Google Hangout / Google Talk plugin
- Step 2: Error. Encounter sadness. Try again. Encounter sadness.
- Step 3: Paperclip steps in, points the way to a solution (it's actually the google product forum) https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chat/8KYa1vXj1uE that points to a Microsoft FIXIT
- Step 4: Web Page on Microsoft Site http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/ - then press green "Run Now" button. (Mr Fix it is really the paperclip in disguise)
- Step 5: Follow steps. Advise Mr Fixit you are having problems trying to install.
- Step 6: There will be a few things in the list Select the GOOGLE PLUGIN / GOOGLE TALK item on list
- Step 7: If goes to plan, you should see one line of ISSUES FIXED and FIXED. This is good.
- Step 8: Try the download plugin again https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin
- Step 9: Should work, with no 'bad robot' images. REJOICE.
Thanks to the forum posters for showing me the way on this
About this blog
Created: January 30, 2014